Certain tasks require periods of prolonged standing in combination with lifting and reaching activities. Whilst standing, the following measures should be taken:
- Stand in a relaxed style and gently pull in your stomach muscles.
- Organise work to allow you to alternate equally between standing and sitting positions.
- Ensure the work surface for assembly line or mechanical jobs, is 5-10cms below elbow height.
- Take regular short breaks from standing.
- Wear sensible footwear and avoid high heels.
- Change position frequently.
- Pay attention to your posture.